Testing Time

It’s that time of year again!  The time when “No. 2 pencils” and “non-graphing calculators” are brought out to be used to fill in the little answer bubbles on standardized tests.  Where I live we take I-STEP and NWEA in eighth grade.  I-STEP is the state-wide test.  We take the short answer and essay portion in the March and the multiple choice portion on the computer in April.  In eighth grade, we only have to take Math and Language.  (We took Science and Social Studies in past years.)  NWEA is taken both in the fall and in the spring and entirely on the computer.  We take three tests: Math, Reading, and English.

Even though these tests can be tedious and seem like a waste of time, the scores on these tests are important because they are used to determine our school’s quality and moving into advanced classes.  We also do not have much homework the weeks of these tests!

What standardized tests do you take?  Do you think that they are a waste of time?

March 2011 Student Challenge #6
Original image: ‘Who needs Pythagoras’ theorem?
Who needs Pythagoras' theorem?
by: Ντάνκαν
Released under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License
Original image: ‘Question
Question
by: Michael Donovan
Original image: ‘You Cannot Argue With This
You Cannot Argue With This
by: Michael Donovan

11 thoughts on “Testing Time

1. I like how you described the purpose of your testing period. It doesn’t sound angry or happy, merely bored! I am a teacher and I think I feel the same way. I think you also hit the nail on the head when the standardized tests are more for determining the quality of a school than the quality of your education. Do you feel that you are so use to testing that you don’t see education without it? Thanks Kari

2. WE are in year 6 and will be taking our sats very soon.We do not think sats are a waste of time because they will prepare us for secondry school.